New food labeling rules have come into effect that will ensure consumers receive clearer, more comprehensive and accurate information on food content.
The key changes in labeling include:
- Improved legibility of information (minimum font size for mandatory information);
- Mandatory allergen information for non-prepacked food, including in restaurants and cafes;
- Mandatory origin information for fresh meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry;
- Same labelling requirements for online, distance-selling or buying in a shop;
- List of engineered nanomaterials in the ingredients.
- Specific information on the vegetable origin of refined oils and fats;
- Strengthened rules to prevent misleading practices;
- Indication of substitute ingredient for ‘Imitation’ foods;
- Clear indication of “formed meat” or “formed fish”; and
- Clear indication of defrosted products.
For more information, click here on www.europa.eu