A single, integrated health information system for the entire European Region is the aim of this European Health Information Initiative (EHII) which brings together representatives from the European Region, WHO collaborating centres (Moscow and Manchester), the European Commission, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and The Wellcome Trust.
EHII believes this integrated system can be achieved by actions in six key areas:
- development of information on health and well-being, with a focus on indicators;
- enhanced access to and dissemination of health information;
- capacity building;
- strengthening of health information networks;
- support for development of health information strategies;
- communication and advocacy.
Initial activities include:
- preparation of a mapping exercise on existing and future health information developments, with a particular focus on indicator development
- regular progress reports from WHO/Europe, European Commission and OECD to the EHII Steering Group on their joint collaboration in the field of health information;
- development of a communications and advocacy strategy for EHII.
For more information about EHII, click here on www.euro.who.int