Since 1992 when the Maastricht Treaty specifically stated that ‘The community shall contribute towards ensuring a high level of human health protection’ the EU has been protecting our health.
It has helped national governments to make healthcare more accessible and efficient, provided scientific advice and data, financed local and cross-border health projects and promoted investments in innovation, research and training.
Current challenges include:
- Guaranteeing accessible, efficient and resilient healthcare
- Investing more in innovation, research and eHealth
- Tackling antimicrobial resistance
- Promoting innovative health products and technologies
- Preparing for new global health threats
To download the infographic on 25 years of protecting our health from the ec.europa.eu website